The (Indoors Only!)Backyard Birds Cuckoo Clock
Truly a hands-across-the-water collaboration, the Backyard Birds Cuckoo Clock marries German technology with an American artists’s hand-carved birds.
The clock itself — everything but the birds — is made by the Anton Schneider Company, of Schonach, Germany. Schneider is known for their excellent craftsmanship and trouble-free clocks. Made as they have been for nearly two centuries, with some clock parts made in cottage industries, the clock has a Regula movement that powers the bellows, the cuckoo, and the animated birds.
I designed the clock to look like a bird feeder. The suet feeder on the right and the hopper feeder on the left are handmade. Schneider ships the entire clock in running order here to Georgia for the final touch. The birds — Chickadee, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Cardinal, and Blue Bird — are hand made by Lance Long and Family of South Carolina. The family business, Olde World Carvers, carve birds and Santas as their livelihood.
Please note: After the stock of Backyard Birds Cuckoo Clocks I have with Lance’s birds are sold the clock will have birds from a new carver. So this is a limited edition. If you are as smitten with his birds as I am you can find his birds on Etsy.
As is the case with every cuckoo clock, the cuckoo emerges to sing on the hour and half hour. The extra charm of an animated cuckoo clock is that the cuckoo sets off even more magic. In this case, the Blue Bird feeds the “baby”, and the Cardinal “pecks” for seed. Yes, moving birds!
This is my long-awaited second design for The American Cuckoo Clock Company and illustrates where I’m going with my business: creating cuckoo clocks with an American aesthetic.
Please note this is an indoor only clock!
Details About Jodie’s Backyard Birds Cuckoo Clock
- Authentic Black Forest Cuckoo Clock made by the oldest manufacturer in Germany
- Hand carved Cardinal, Goldfinch, Blue Bird and Red-Bellied Woodpecker made in America**
- The birds are hand carved by Lance Long and family of Olde World Carvings in South Carolina
- Movement: On the hour and half hour the cuckoo pops out of his door and sings, the Blue Bird feeds the cuckoo, and the Cardinal pecks
- Cuckoo can be silenced manually
- Instructions for setting up and caring for the clock are included
- Two year warranty
- Measures 10″ W x 9.5″ T x 6.25″ D minus pendulum and weights
- Brass 1-day Regula movement*
- Pine cone cast weights
- VDS Certificate of Authenticity from the Black Forest Association of cuckoo clock makers
- 100% “Smiles Guaranteed” Satisfaction Guarantee
- Designed by Jodie Davis Designs in Hickory Flat, Georgia
- Only available in North America. You will not find this clock in Germany!
- Includes free shipping within the continental US. For other locations e-mail me at [email protected]ckooClockCompany.com for a shipping quote.
*Movement requires winding once each day — if you’re punctual. 8-day movement is available by special order for $150 additional with up to a 4-month wait. We ran out!
**Please note that each bird is individually hand carved by a family of craftsmen in South Carolina. Therefore, the birds can vary from those you see in the photo. It’s called the mark of the hand!
Lance and his family make their living carving birds and Santas. You can find him where I found him, Olde World Carvings on Etsy.