The Birdwatcher Cuckoo Clock
Constructed entirely of wood using genuine Black Forest clockworks, the Birdwatcher Cuckoo Clock is the first cuckoo clock designed made in America in decades. No wonder it looks so American!
To construct the decorative parts of the clock Jodie chose poplar, a wood quite similar to the linden wood used in Black Forest clock making. Much of the poplar Jodie uses is harvested from the woods in Hickory Flat and rough milled using a 1950’s sawmill. The nuances of the wood show through her paints and stains. The poplar lends the clock an earthiness appropriate for a woodsy clock.
Authentic Black Forest Clockworks
As for all of American Cuckoo Clock Company clocks, the clockworks are imported from the Black Forest. To this day the clockworks used in German cuckoo clocks are made in the Black Forest — even the chains! We do the same, using authentic German Regula movements, Kienzler bellows, hand carved cuckoos, etc.
The Cuckoo Song and Animation
Speaking of which, when he cuckoo calls on the hour and half hour the American birds (in case you’re wondering, yes, we do have several species of cuckoo in north America) a series of animations follows. The Towhee pecks the forest floor and the Birdwatcher lifts her binoculars to get a better look at the Cardinal. But there’s more. The sun peeks out from behind the trees and winks!
Details About Jodie’s Birdwatcher Cuckoo Clock
- Constructed entirely of wood (poplar, some sourced from Jodie’s hamlet of Hickory Flat, Georgia), including the clock box and the decorative parts
- Hand made trees, birds, etc. are individually hand painted.
- It’s animated! On the hour and half hour the cuckoo pops out of his door, the Birdwatcher raises her binoculars to get a close look at the Cardinal, the Towhee pecks, and the sun winks.
- Made in American using genuine Black Forest Cuckoo Clock parts
- Brass 1-day Regula movement from Schonach, Germany requires daily winding
- Cuckoo can be silenced with pull down shut-off
- Instructions for setting up and caring for the clock are included
- Two year warranty
- Measures 14.5″ W x 16.5″ T x 8″ D minus pendulum and weights
- Traditional cast pine cone weights
- 100% Satisfaction — Smiles — Guarantee
- Designed by Jodie Davis in Hickory Flat, Georgia
- Only available in North America
- Free Shipping in the US! For shipping to other locations please e-mail us for a shipping quote
Please note that we hand craft our clocks in small batches. An estimated ship date from when an order is placed is noted above.
When you order a clock we will respond telling you our anticipated ship date, filling orders on a first come, first served basis. If the you wish to order a clock and need it by a specific date please send us an email and we will give you a ship date.